March 30, 2012

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Collar


I had been wanting to try my hand at the chocolate collar after recently noticing several birthday cakes in the cake shops having them. Chocolate decorations was the other thing I had been postponing trying.  So, when my sister came visiting from Delhi just few days after her birthday, it gave me a perfect opportunity to bake a belated birthday cake for her and at the same time try my hand at chocolate decorations. For the cake, I again used the same recipe as the  Tuxedo Cake which is currently my favorite chocolate cake base.I kept it simple this time with just 2 layers of cake with the sides and the insides filled with chocolate coffee ganache.

It was unfortunately a very hot Sunday in Mumbai when I made this chocolate collar, so the chocolate took a lot of time setting up. I tried to hasten the process by keeping it in the refrigerator for 30 secs which was a bad idea as the chocolate hardened in that short time. I had to apply a thin layer of melted chocolate to make it stick around the cake. Thankfully, it was not that hard that it couldn't take the round shape of the cake.

I am just sharing the recipe of how to make the collar, for the cake recipe, you can refer to Tuxedo Cake.

Ingredients

Cake, frosted and assembled.
White chocolate [ For making patterns, decorations]
Dark/milk chocolate
Parchment paper.

Method
Measure the Cake :
Determine the height and circumference of the cake. This needs to be done after the cake has been frosted , as frosting will increase both of them and we don't want our chocolate collar to fall short.

  1. The height can be measured with a ruler/scale . You can either keep the height of the cake same as that of cake or add some more centimeters if you want to cover your cake with fruit toppings. 
  2. The circumference can be measured using a thread/yarn.Wrap the thread loosely around the base of the cake and add an additional inch to ensure that there are no gaps when you wrap it around. 

Cut the Parchment Paper: 
As per the measurement , cut the parchment paper.

Make Chocolate Collar and Wrap around the cake

  1. Melt both the chocolates separately. 
  2. Fill the melted white chocolate in a piping bag and cut a small tip. 
  3. Place the parchment paper on your work surface. Make a pattern with the white chocolate. Since this was my first time at chocolate decoration too, I used the simplest zigzag pattern.
  4. Once the white chocolate is set completely, apply the dark chocolate over the entire parchment paper using an offset spatula.Spread evenly.
  5. Leave the chocolate collar to set, so that it is sticky/pliant and is  not fully hard/brittle. This is the step where the Mumbai weather played a spoilsport.
  6. Pick up the band and carefully put one end on the cake and press it to the frosting, wrapping it around the cake.
  7. Transfer it to the refrigerator for  30 mins to get it completely set. Once it is set, peel the parchment paper. It comes off easily :)


6 comments:

Alpana said...

Woooow Sushmita.......very professionally done cake........I am totally impressed.
BTW I have also been thinking of doing this choc collar for a long time but did not dare to try......will try soon now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anisha said...

That's a beautiful cake... Love the idea of tying the ribbon around it.

Suja Manoj said...

Wow that looks superb,nicely decorated cake,the collar is so perfect...great job!

SinFoodie said...

Thank you so much everyone :))

Kavi said...

Wonderful recipe!!!!

Basset Certification said...

Can't wait to try this recipe. I'll make these for my mom and my brothers and sister. They will be so happy about this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips